Crushed Pepper Composta from Masseria Mirogallo
Sweet Italian Peppers w/ Fennel & Parsley in Olive Oil
Ciao, pure pepper perfection! Crushed Pepper Composta from Masseria Mirogallo—a Market Hall Foods exclusive—is a vibrant mix of roughly chopped sweet red and green peppers, fennel seeds, parsley, Italian extra virgin olive oil with a touch of white wine vinegar for acidity.
Masseria Mirogallo's Crushed Pepper Composta is equally delicious used as a simple condiment or as a flavor-boosting ingredient in cooking—from a topping for pizzas and sandwiches to a peppery addition to pasta sauces and dressings. Here's our 5 favorite ways to use this Italian pantry staple:
1. Italian Pepper-Marinated Pork Chops: The marinade for these pork chops is ridiculously easy—a couple spoonfuls of crushed peppers, olive oil, fennel pollen and parsley—but it packs a powerful punch of flavor. Don't just stop at pork chops—try this marinade with chicken, fish and seafood too.
2. Grilled Formaggio: Make a grilled cheese sandwich—Italiano-style—with sharp, nutty Fontina Val d'Aosta cheese, melty mozzarella and Crushed Pepper Composta.
3. Add Some Pep to Pasta Sauce: Simple tomato sauce + a couple spoonfuls of composta + 90-Second 'Rapida' Spaghetti = A speedy, satisfying dinner in the time it takes water to boil.
4. Fish's Best Friend: Season your favorite white fish fillets with salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet, spread the top with a thin layer of Crushed Pepper Composta and roast until fish is cooked through. Garnish with a spritz of fresh lemon juice—and, don't forget a glass of dry Italian white wine!
5. Pepper Your Vegetables: Make a riff on traditional Ciambotta—a classic vegetable dish from Basilicata similar to Caponata—toss cubes of eggplant, potatoes, whole cherry tomatoes and pitted dry-cured black olives with a couple heaping spoonfuls of Crushed Pepper Composta, lots of extra virgin olive oil and slowly roast until the vegetables are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.
About the producer
Since the 1800s, one of the largest farms in Lucana Valley of Basilicata, Italy has been owned by the Mirogallo family, who specializes in the cultivation and preservation of heirloom varieties of fruit and vegetables from which they hand-make very high quality pantry products.
The Mirogallo brothers are quick to point out that everything they put in a jar comes from their fields, and that the only preservatives they use are vinegar and salt. Every summer, the Mirogallo farm is bustling with many farm-workers hand harvesting perfectly sun-ripe fruit and vegetables. Inside the old white washed farm building, a state-of-the-art kitchen transforms the bounty of every day into a wide array of jars of all color and sizes.
Featured in these recipes:
- Italian Pepper-Marinated Pork Chops
- Be the first to review this product