Mugolio (Pine Cone Bud Syrup) from Primitivizia
The Dolomite Alps hold the secret to one of our favorite products - the mugo pine. A miniature pine tree of about 5 - 10 feet, this petite tree produces a pine cone that holds a sweet elixir, drawn out by the sun.
Elinora Cunacia, owner of Primitivizia, harvests these pine cones and stores them in sun-drenched glass jars for a few months, coaxing out the sweet syrup from within. In late Autumn, the syrup is filtered and cooked with sugar to a deep golden brown liquid. This syrup has a rich, pine and honey flavor that is a perfect complement to apples and pears, creamy cheeses like ricotta or mascarpone and stone fruits like peaches.
We'll share a few of our tricks with you...
• Serve whole-roasted apples with a dollop of mascarpone and a drizzle of mugolio.
• Puree fresh whole-milk ricotta with a bit of mugolio and serve alongside a poached pear.
• Serve fresh vanilla gelato with sliced peaches and finish with mugolio.
• Pour a bit over panna cotta or any custard.
• Fill a crepe with creamy ricotta or mascarpone, sauteed pears and a drizzle of mugolio.
• Use as a sauce for duck.
Featured in these recipes: